Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Shane Devenshire[_2_] Shane Devenshire[_2_] is offline

Default Comparing 2 sets of data to fill in gaps

Based on the title of the post - Suppose your data looks like this and is in
A1:B100

Fred 5
Jane
Marsha 10
Dan

And in the other table you have dollar associated with each name, lets say
that is in M1:N100

1. Highlihg all the B1:B100
2. Press F5, Special, Blanks
3. Don't move the cursor and type, but don't enter the following formula
=VLOOKUP(A2,M$1:N$100,2,False)
4. Press Ctrl+Enter

This will enter the formula in all the blank cells of column B. Note the A2
in the VLOOKUP formula simply refers to whatever cell is to the left of the
active cell. You will need to adjust this reference according to your data.
For example, if the first blank cell is B3, so it is also the first
highlighted cell after step 2, then the reference would be A3.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Awrex" wrote:

Hi,
I have two sets of data both have names and one has a dollar value
associated with the name. Need to compare names and have the dollar valued
filled in the one without.

Match seems to be on the right track but it doesn' quite work how I'd hoped.

Thanks!!