Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Macro available in all workbooks

I keep my addin workbook in XLStart, but I could use the Addins folder and use
Tools|Addins (xl2003 menus) to install that addin.

It's never bothered me that I only use a couple of macros that are in that
workbook--even though the entire workbook with all its macros are opened each
time I open excel.

There are ways of loading an addin on demand, but I don't see the point in most
cases--do you have lots and lots and lots of sub's to worry about?

Saved from a previous post:

Your life will become much simpler if you include code to create the toolbar
when the workbook is opened and include code to destroy the toolbar when the
workbook is closed.

For additions to the worksheet menu bar, I really like the way John Walkenbach
does it in his menumaker workbook:

Here's how I do it when I want a toolbar:
http://www.contextures.com/xlToolbar02.html
(from Debra Dalgleish's site)

In xl2007, those toolbars and menu modifications will show up under the addins.

Bod wrote:

Hi, Dave - your answers are really great and I'm learning a lot from them.
I had a workbook with macros to which I was always navigating.
I did Save As: Type: xla: "[Bod Macros].xla" and XL took me to the Add-Ins
folder, so I saved it there.
How do I now make myself a wee button to be able to choose which macro from
that book I want to run (maybe I should be using a xlb or an xls).

I don't quite get the which I would want to use out of xls, xla and xlb.
When I just saved my macros in a xls file in XLStart, that book opened up
every time I ran XL, but I don't want that as I don't ALWAYS use the macros -
I just want them to always be available (unless if I don't have that option).

--

Dave Peterson