Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Doug Doug is offline

Default COUNTIFs Based on Field Headings

I have a company fitness chart, with "X"s indicating participation on certain
days of the week. The requestor wants a sub-totaled percentage for fitness
sessions on Tuesdays and Thursdays (combined) and for Wednesdays, plus an
overall score. The overall participation percentage is no problem. For the
sub-scores, I am using a COUNTIFS function:
=COUNTIFS(--(B2:P2),"TUES",--(B2:P2),"THURS",--(B3:P3),"X"). But, this
produces an error. (What do the paired dashes mean, anyway)? I have tried a
couple of other functions, COUNTA, COUNTIF and IF, plus some of the
SUMPRODUCT examples from the discussion page. They do not work as advertised
either, although I thought I was close at one point. Suggestions are
welcome, as always.
DOUG