Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bill Kuunders Bill Kuunders is offline

Default Random Numbers excluding Previous Numbers

one way

a1 to a5 have the same formula............... =rand()

b1 to b5 have the single days as text ....... Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri

c1 has the formula =VLOOKUP(LARGE(A$1:A$5,1),A$1:B$5,2,FALSE)
d1 has the formula =VLOOKUP(LARGE(A$1:A$5,2),A$1:B$5,2,FALSE)
e1 has the formula =VLOOKUP(LARGE(A$1:A$5,3),A$1:B$5,2,FALSE)
f1 has the formula =VLOOKUP(LARGE(A$1:A$5,4),A$1:B$5,2,FALSE)
g1 has the formula =VLOOKUP(LARGE(A$1:A$5,5),A$1:B$5,2,FALSE)

note............. only one number changes from 1 to 5

now each time you press "F9" the rand formula in A1 to A5 will recalculate
and the vlookup formula
will give you a new series of days at random.
all you need to do now is <copy and <paste special <valuesabout 11 times
:):)

Bill K
Waiau Pa

"Brad" wrote in message
Hi

We have a system in New Zealand where we need to randomly select one day a
week over one year, simple in itself. However we are to incude all the
days
of the week over a 5 week period e.g if we choose Tuesday this week the
other
four days need to be randomly selected the following week, three days need
the following week etc restarting five days again at week six.

I need a formular or method of excluding previously selected numbers but
giving all remaining numbers an equal chance of selection.

This needs to be set out on a spread sheet for the entire year

Would really appreciate some advice

Thanks

Regards Brad