Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Month function

If a cell has a date in it, then mm will display the month number and mmm
will display the month as text.

If a cell has a simple number like 1, 2, 3,......., then the formula:
=DATE(2009,A1,1) will also display the month as text if formatted as mmm.

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200859

"ispy1009" wrote:

In using the month function I have encountered the following problem with
formatting. If I format the cells general or mm, I get the corresponding
digit to reflect the correct month. However, If I use "mmm" or "mmmm", I get
Jan or January no matter what month. How can I format this column using mmm
or mmmm and get the correct result? I am using Office 2003. I would like to
have the month spelled out instead of just the digit(s) that reflect the
month.