Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default format number to date

I wonder whether that "1" in the front is meant to be a century correction
factor... 0 for 19xx and 1 for 20xx (the one being added to the 19 to get
the 20)?

I'm also a little hesitant about your formula.... wouldn't the
interpretation of month, day and date be regionally (locale) sensitive for a
2-digit year? Now, if the year part were 4 digits long, then you could use
dash delimiters and that would put the value into an international date
format. Assuming the 1 is meant to be interpreted as I did above, then this
would work..

=--TEXT(A1+19000000,"0000-00-00")

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"T. Valko" wrote in message
1090720

If these are a consistent format where the actual date starts at the 2nd
digit and the year is *always* 20xx:

=--TEXT(20&MID(A1,2,6),"0000\/00\/00")

Format as Date

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Picodillo" wrote in message
When I run a query from work and post the information in Excel, the date
shows an odd format. For instance, for July 20, 2009, the date would
read
1090720. I would like to format this into a date that is recognized by
Excel. I am able to spread the data out using "text to columns" and then
using =B1&"/"&C1&"/20"&"A1 so that it looks like 7/20/2009, but Excel
doesn't
recognize this as a date so I can't do any conditional formatting.
Please
help.