Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jacob Skaria Jacob Skaria is offline

Default How format number as text

Hi "Woody"

Try the below and feedback

--From menu DataFrom TextSelect the .csv file to be opened.
--From the 'Text Import Wizard' Step 1; select 'Delimited' and hit next
--From the 'Text Import Wizard' Step 2; select 'Comma' and hit next (you can
uncheck the other defaults selected)
--From the 'Text Import Wizard' Step 3; From 'Data Preview Area' select all
the columns which you would want to be displayed as text. Once selected the
background will be black and the text will be white.
--Then on the same window from the group 'Column Data format' select Text
and Hit Finish.

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Woody" wrote:

I am using Excel 2007.

I have several rows in a database and a certain column called XXX.

The values in the column are all nubers. However I want them to be thought
of as text, not numbers. I have put an apostropy in front of the the value
of column XXX in the first row of the workbook, however, I do not want to
have to do this manually for each row. There are many rows. I thought I
could use the format painter to change the format for all the other rows but
if so, I haven't found the combination.

Is there an easy way to change all numbers for a column so that Excel thinks
of the numbers as text?