Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Charlie Smith Charlie Smith is offline

Default Getting values from names by reference

=INDIRECT("'" & B$2 & "'!" & A$4) gets a #REF error
Still trying to figure out why.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Does this work ok?

=indirect("'" & b$2 & "'!" & a$4)

Charlie Smith wrote:

A4 is "Income" and B2 is "January"
On the January Sheet I have a named cell of Income.
I want to create a formula that gets the value from the reference but I want
to be able to use the formula across the spreadsheet.
January!Income February!Income etc
January!Expense February!Expense etc
etc.
With Column A being the name and Row 2 being the sheet names, I should be
able to get the values withut having to enter the name directly into the cell.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Maybe...

=indirect("'" & b$2 & "'!a4")

But I'm confused about this Row in A4. I'm assuming that you meant an address
or a range name????

If this doesn't help, you may want to share the values that you have in each of
those cells. (January isn't just the result of a date that's formatted to only
show the month name, right???)

Charlie Smith wrote:

I am looking to get a value from a name created by concatination. For Example
I have a Column with January in B2 and a Row with Income in A4. I have a
named reference of Income with a scope of January. I also have the other
months as well.
I want to create the reference [CONCATENATE(B$2,"!",$A4)] and get the value
of that reference in the cell.
If I use indirect, I get a reference error. Anyone have any ideas?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson