Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Lady Success Lady Success is offline

Default Lookup in External Worksheet

I have two worksheets - one with a database and one that does a lookup on the
database. How can I pull information from the database based on the
information entered in the lookup worksheet?

My Lookup worksheet contains two fields that need data entry by the end user.

B2 User enters Jcode
B3 User enters drug name
B4 Populates information based on what's found in the database

My current formula in the lookup file is:
(INDEX('2010 HBR Query Tool Only.xlsx'!DrugName,
MATCH(B2,'2010 HBR Query Tool Only.xlsx'!JCode,0),0).

The formula above is currently using the database that's contained in the
same workbook as the lookup. If I want to use another file, I assume that I
would just change the name of the file to the name of the external file.
However, does Excel require the external file to be open in order to perform
its operation? The contents of the database are used for different
workbooks and different functions as well as different users in different
depts with different access. I want to have one version of the database so
I won't have to update more than one file with changes. If the file has to
be open in order for the formulas to work, is there a way that I can code the
lookup document so that it will open the database automatically (behind the
scenes for the most people) and then close when the lookup file is closed?

I don't know if this is even possible or not - so if anyone can help me with
this I would appreciate it.

i.e. (I posted this question earlier - but the posting didn't stay in the
forum? So, if you find this is a duplicate, I apologize.)
--
Lady