Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default The size chestnut.

I'ts probably not this...

But if you hit ctrl-end on each sheet, you go to what you think is the last used
cell--it's not way past what you think, right?

Visit Debra Dalgleish's site for some techniques to reset that used cell.
http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused

ps. I've shared your dictionary with lots of people. They all find it very
helpful.

Peter Noneley wrote:

Hello,

I know this is an old chestnut of a question, but please read on.

I have been working all day on file that was 1.3Mb in size.

I then made a few minor changes to Header / Footer and copied one cell
to 15 other locations.

I then saved the file, and the size is now 3.5Mb.

My question is .... "What the hell happened!" I only made minor
changes and the file is now more than twice its original size.

I'm not interested in removing the extra Mb as thankfully I have a
backup that I can revert to, I just want to know where the extra Mb
came from, where is it in my file, and what is it?

(The file is the Excel Function Dictionary that I have been giving
away for years. The original one was bloated in size, so I cut out the
sheets that contained the bloat and then rebuilt them from scratch. I
hoped that this smaller version would be better for people to use, and
that I could actually update it and fit some more example sheets in.)

The workbook has:
180 Worksheets
3000 Functions
No VBA
No Links
No Data Import Queries
No Graphic images
No Hyperlinks created with Insert/Hyperlink. (All use the =HYPERLINK
function)
No Hidden sheets

File is being saved as Excel 2003
AutoRecover is On every 5 mins.