Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Jim Luedke Jim Luedke is offline

Default Excel fails to update call to user-written function.

I run Excel 2002 under <cringe Win 2000.

Although recalc is set to automatic, Excel often fails to calc cells
that call functions I wrote in VBA--i.e. whose formula is =MyFunc().

I have a workbook with hundreds of cells with formula "=MyFunc
(param)", where param is the address of another cell. MyFunc() returns
some text plus the target cell's address. So if, say, I insert a row
in the sheet, all cells calling MyFunc() below the row I inserted
should update. But few or often even none do. (Except if on the cell I
press F2-Edit and return, which of course works.)

My only recourse at present is to go thru the entire workbook and F2-
Edit/return to force every cell to update.

I've tried increasing recalc iterations in Tools / Options, but it has
no effect.

If Excel's behavior is indeed not to recalc all cells which need to
change, then I fail to understand why it does not have a menu option
to force recalc of every cell. I mean, huh?

What am I missing here?

***