Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Berens[_2_] Bob Berens[_2_] is offline

Default Problem (bug?) in the way Excel 2007 doesn't automatically loa

I don't know if this is exactly what you're trying to accomplish, but I just
tried this: I created a new workbook, and recorded a macro that simply typed
"Hello, world" in the current cell; I saved the workbook as a macro-enabled
workbook named (for sake of argument) "ShortcutMacroTest.xlsm" in the "My
Documents" folder.

I then created a shortcut to this workbook in my "C:\Documents and
Settings\rberens\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART" folder
(right-click-and-drag, "create shortcuts here"). Note, I didn't copy the
whole workbook, just a shortcut to it. I closed Excel, then re-opened it,
and it automatically loaded "ShortcutMacroTest.xlsm", but with the "macros
disabled" banner. I "allowed content" and could run the HelloWorld macro on
that sheet and any other open workbook. I then went into the "Excel Options
| Trust Center | Trusted Locations" window and added the "My Documents"
folder to the trusted locations. Re-starting Excel, I could run the macro
without any prompt.

So, maybe all you have to do is copy into your users XLSTART directory a
shortcut to your read-only shared workbook that you can't get Excel to load
automatically, and probably add its directory to their "trusted locations"
list.

Good luck, and let me know how it works out...

:Bob

"GrayJayBee" wrote:

Thanks Bob

Hmmm, yes this might be a work-around to this bug (I've decided it MUST be a
bug). Can I re-play your advice to make sure I understand it...

<<SNIP