Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Lars-Åke Aspelin[_2_] Lars-Åke Aspelin[_2_] is offline

Default Average function

Then I suggest you try the following:

=IF(COUNT(AP13:BA13)=0,"",AVERAGE(AP13:BA13))

Hope this helps / Lars-Åke

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 13:23:17 -0700, Shannakinz
wrote:

One of my problems is that i am creating a template for other locations to
fill in. So what i would like is for the monthly columns to start out blank
and the average column to do the calculation automatically. You're right that
if the cells for the months that "do not have values" are blank, AVERAGE does
not include blank cells in the calculation and it calculates it wonderfully
once you input hours into the monthly columns. The problem is that before you
input any values into the monthly columns, the average column shows an error
and says "#DIV/0!". And i can't send this template out with that error
showing because that's just going to confuse everyone who has to fill it out.

"Lars-Åke Aspelin" wrote:

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 12:28:24 -0700, Shannakinz
wrote:

I have columns set up for each month where we enter the total number of
hours. After these columns, i have a column for "total for the year (hours)"
and for "average of the year (hours)". Right now, i've just put in a basic
average function to calculate using the columns for the months. Example:
=AVERAGE(AP13:BA13).

My problem is that some months do not have values, and i would like to
exclude them from the average calculations. Is there a way to tell excel that
it should only calculate the average of the months that have a value 0 ?

Thanks.

If the cells for the months that "do not have values" are blank, you
don't have to do anythink. AVERAGE does not include blank cells in the
calculation.
But if the cells for the months that "do not have value " have 0 or
some negative number, you may try the following formula:

=AVERAGE(IF(AP13:BA130,AP13:BA13))

Note: This is an array formula that has to be confirmed with
CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER rather than just ENTER.

Hope this helps / Lars-Åke