Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
paul[_3_] paul[_3_] is offline

Default External Link Issue

I have come across something rather bizarre that I hope someone can
answer.

I opened a workbook in excel, we will call it Book1, that has
external
links, I opt to "Don't Update". In the workbook are links to
someone's
C: drive and as far as I am aware I don't have access to their drive.
Also FYI ... The status bar in the lower right says "Ready" ... not
"Calculate". Plus, if I hit "F9" the numbers remain the same. When I
look at a cell "D10" it shows $90.

Then I open a copy of the same file but named Book2 .... Book1 is
still open. I again click "Don't Update" and the status bar says
"Ready". I click "F9" just to check that it is calculated. However,
in
this book "D10" shows $100.

Now this is where it gets wierd. If I go back to Book1, cell "D10"
now
says $100, it changed and book Book2 still says $100.

Why would this be happening? It seems that the book is some how
updating despite that fact I am saying "don't Update". If I open the
books reversed, Book2 and
Book1 the cells now both say $90. It seems that the last book to open
takes over.

Any ideas why this would happpen?

Thanks,
Paul