Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Davo Davo is offline

Default how to replace an unrecognised character

in the data tab have you tried "Text to Columns"? if not, try that with tab
delimited as the selection.

"Conore" wrote:

I am importing data to Excel from a flat file - and the rows being imported
contain carraige returns. I can not remove these in the MS excel import
process and these then appear in the EXcel celss as what I believe is an
unrecognised character symbol - a ? inside a square.

I need to separate the contents of these celss based on this symbol but I
have not found a solution to do this. of the Text function I can use Clean
to remove the symbol but I then lose the ability to separate the contents at
the correect position.