Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Can Excel automatically insert current date in a cell?

RendaBay,

I tried adding =TODAY() directly into the cell, but it only prints with

those same characters in the document. It doesn't show a date.

Format that cell as General or with the specific date format that you prefer, then re-enter the
formula. The cell was formatted as text, which disables formulas just for that cell....

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"RendaBay" wrote in message
I know VERY LITTLE about using Excel -- just learning -- so trial and error
is my only option. I have Excel X for Mac (a slightly older version). I want
to cause the date inside one of the cells to change automatically when I
open. I tried adding =TODAY() directly into the cell, but it only prints with
those same characters in the document. It doesn't show a date. I went into
"View Code" to try adding it there, but there is already stuff in the window.
I don't really understand how to do this. Can you help me?

"AdrianXing" wrote:

Does anyone know of a function that can make Excel automatically insert the
current date into a cell when a file is opened up?