Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Don Guillett Don Guillett is offline

Default Returning Column Header based on Row and Value

One way
=INDEX(1:1,1,MATCH("d",INDIRECT(MATCH("c",A:A)&":" &MATCH("c",A:A))))

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Chad DiGregorio" wrote in message
Hi All,

I've run into a problem trying to return a value from the header row
based on locating a row value and a subsequent value within that row
to define the column header needed.

For example in the confusing example below imagine that the top row "
A B C D" is the column headers and the column 1 "A B C D" is the row
labels i've assigned. Given values of "C" and "D" I'd like to write a
formula that searches down column 1 for "C" and then looks across the
row for value "D" and returns the value of the column header "B".
Sorry if this question is worded too obscurely. Thanks for any help.

A B C D
A A B C D
B B C D E
C C D E F