Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Luke M Luke M is offline

Default What does "~" do to the data in a cell?

The ~ symbol normally is used to proceed wildcard characters to tell XL that
you are looking for a literal *, and not using wildcards. You may need to
search for "Allianz~~" in order to tell XL that you are actually looking for
a tilde.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"WarrenApplegate" wrote:

When doing a vlookup, I'm searching for the the name
"Allianz~" from the list against a set of data which contains this name. It
won't return any values. However, when I remove the "~" from data table, it
returns a value. Why does this happen, as I am searcing for a constant, and
it appears to be returning when the cells are different? Thanks.