Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Shane Devenshire[_2_] Shane Devenshire[_2_] is offline

Default Using " " in If functions

Hi,

Since = is text you need quote around it however you can enter the
=COUNTIF(B2:I2;"=70")
=COUNTIF(B2:I2,"="&A1)

In this case A1 would contain 70
In this second case the text portion of the entry is quoted but the cell
reference is not or else it would be treated as text. This form gives you
more flexibility - you don't need to modify formulas to change criteria you
just edit the contents of A1.

Here is an example of counting the number of entries equal or above the
average

=COUNTIF(A1:A14,"="&AVERAGE(A1:A14))

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Cazzy123" wrote:

Hi I have 2 If functions:

=SUMIF(C3:C7;TRUE;B3:B7) and =COUNTIF(B2:I2;"=70")

Although I understand the equation behind it I always get confused as to
when I should use the " " . As from my examples one of they are required
only in one of these functions.

Could someone please make it easier for me to remember when any why they
should be used.

Thanks