Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
EricG EricG is offline

Default Extract text on right of various length from cells

This should work:

=MID(A1,FIND("(",A1,1)+1,FIND(")",A1,1)-FIND("(",A1,1)-1)

"HammerD" wrote:

Sorry - my mistake... the cells have the text enclosed in parentheses. And I
want just the text - not the number or parentheses. There may be 3 or more
words within the parentheses.
(ex: i.e. - 260 (SMALL THINGS), 261 (THINGS)

I also may note - when I receive e-mail notificatiion when a solution is
provided, the link does not work for me. So it took me a while to locate this
post.

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

If the data always have space between the numerics and text then try
=MID(A1,FIND(CHAR(32),A1)+1,LEN(A1))

If no space then try the below. Please note that this is an array formula.
Within the cell in edit mode (F2) paste this formula and press
Ctrl+Shift+Enter to apply this formula. If successful in 'Formula Bar' you
can notice the curly braces at both ends like "{=<formula}"
=TRIM(MID(A1,COUNT(1*MID(A1,ROW($1:$9),1))+1,LEN(A 1)))

If this post helps click Yes
Jacob Skaria

"HammerD" wrote:

I have a list of cells with a "number" & description (i.e. - 260 SMALL
THINGS, 261 THINGS).
I want to just capture the text (of varying lengths) from the three digit
numbers.
I am making another column for just the numbers with the formula
"=LEFT(C1,3)" - but how can I capture just text?

Thanks in advance...