Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bernard Liengme[_3_] Bernard Liengme[_3_] is offline

Default Averaging Data

Part 1: Here is some data in column A and the fractional parts in column B
Note that although the non-integer part is shown as a decimal, it is still
referred to as the 'fractional part'

1.3 0.3
5.6 0.6
7.8 0.8
9.5 0.5
4.6 0.6
3.5 0.5
7.7 0.7
1.4 0.4
9.4 0.4
7.3 0.3

If you use =AVERAGE(B1:B10) you get 0.51
To get the result without the 'helper column' use =AVERAGE(MOD(A1:A10,1))
This is an array formula and must be entered using CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER not just
ENTER
--
Bernard V Liengme

http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme
remove caps from email

"FGE-carl" wrote in message
I have a database set up in excel and I would like to extract data from
certain columns and take an average of that data. However, I need to
average
the data in decimal format that is seperated by whole numbers. I need to
eliminate the whole numbers and just take the average of the inbetween
data.
Also, the data is always changing and there is no set "Cell Location." I
need
to be able to run this with an arbitrary amount of cells.