Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jacob Skaria Jacob Skaria is offline

Default incorrect output of if formula

Oops. I thought you were having the formula incorrect when you have nothing
in it.

If text checkout for space.
Or
If numerics checkout for the exact value...

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

Check whether there is a space in one of the cells

Try the below..If it works then there is a space in one of the cells
=IF(TRIM(A1)=TRIM(A2),"yes","no")

or try
=CODE(A1)
If it returns a number insteadof #value there is a character there in one of
the cell.

If this post helps click Yes
Jacob Skaria

"Seeker" wrote:

I have two cells with values which were macro auto copied from other cells by
copy - paste special €“ value, I have a =if(A1=A2,"yes","no") formula in third
cell to compare these two cells. From time to time the output of formula
gives inccorrect answer, but if I copy the first cell to the second cell
again manually using copy €“ paste function, the third cell gives the right
answer. Any idea why and how to correct this please?
Rgds