Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jacob Skaria Jacob Skaria is offline

Default Data from exported file read as text, when edited becomes a # (pic

Copy a blank cell.
Keeping the copy; select the range of cells in your data
Right clickPasteSpecialselect Add. and click OK

Now try your formulas..

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Jarod" wrote:

Here's what I have - a set of data exported from a program, organized into
nice little cells.

I need to calculate some totals based on these numbers, but excel comes up
with 0.

If I double click (to edit) any of these values, then press enter (without
doing anything) then the text seems to be converted to a readable entry for
the formula. I have to "edit" each cell to get it to do this.

Here's an example:

The highlighted entries I've double clicked to "edit" and pressed Enter on -
these will add up.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...eConverted.jpg

The highlighted entries here have yet to be "edited" - these will NOT add up
(come to 00:00:00)
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...se/TimeRaw.jpg

When I do this:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...e/TimeEdit.jpg

the time converts to a "readable" format for the formula.

I can't do this to the 4,000 plus cells individually. How do I convert
them? I *have* tried changing the format to each column to the proper time
(the time format that says "37:30:55")