drewer

Thanks - that doesn't work, I'm afraid. The hours (as hours, not as parts of
a day)appear in the total column, calculated using the TEXT function taking
away the start time from the end time, and totalling them. Where I use sum to
total e.g. Q8:Q43, the value is simply 0:00, despite there being figures
between Q8 and Q43.
Thanks
Andrew

"Bernie Deitrick" wrote:

drewer,

Times are just numbers, with 1 being 24 hours. So 6 hours is .25, etc.
Excel sums them just like any other numbers, so

=SUM(A1:A10)

will provide the sum of the times in cells A1:A10.

However, if the sum is greater than 24 hours, Excel will roll-over the
results greater than 24 unless the cell is formatted for [h]:mm.

To get decimal hours, simply multiply the sum by 24 and format as decimal.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"drewer" wrote in message
I've set up my own timesheet format, where total time spent on a

particular
project is added up automatically. Problem is that when I try to add up

all
the accumulated time spent over a week (using sum function), it doesn't

work.
It adds none of the data together. I've tried using -sum((x:y),"h:mm"),

but
that doesn't work either. Any advice appreciated...
Thanks