Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default Convert Text To Number

I also tried entering the number 1 in a cell and
copying it and then highlighting the numbers
and slecting paste special thn using the multiply option

I guess you missed that.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Shane Devenshire" wrote in
message ...
Hi,

Select an empty cell and click Copy
Highlight the text number cells and choose Edit, Paste Special, Add

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"John Calder" wrote:

Hi

I run Excel 2K ans Windows XP

I have downloaded some numbers from a mainframe and they have come up as
text format in the worksheet. I tried reformating them to a number but it
does not work. I also tried entering the number 1 in a cell and copying
it
and then highlighting the numbers and slecting paste special thn using
the
multiply option (i also tried the add option) but this did not work
either.

Is there a simple way of converting numbers in a text format to a number
format in Excel 2K

Thanks