Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jacob Skaria Jacob Skaria is offline

Default Returning a column reference for a data point

Try the below formula. Please note that this is an array formula. Within the
cell in edit mode (F2) paste this formula and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter to apply
this formula. If successful in 'Formula Bar' you can notice the curly braces
at both ends like "{=<formula}"

Replace 123 with your unique account number or reference it to a cell. For
testing I have used 123. Tere are 4 occurance of 123. The formula will match
the row with the account number; then find the first value which is more than
0 in that row and then return the month name from the 1st row..Try and
feedback

=INDEX(1:1,MIN(IF(INDIRECT("B" & MATCH(123,A:A,0)&":BU" &
MATCH(123,A:A,0))0,COLUMN(INDIRECT("B" & MATCH(123,A:A,0)&":BU" &
MATCH(123,A:A,0))))))

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Totteridge Ram" wrote:

Hi

I have a spreadsheet with unique account numbers in column A, and then
across the top, from Column B onwards, I have listed the next 72 months (Jun
09, Jul 09, etc).

In each row (ie for each account), a forumula in each cell (under each month
for each account) either returns a positive number or 0.

I need to identify the month each account has the positive number (it is the
maturity value), and have the maturity month listed next to the account
number.

I have no idea where to start. Can anyone help?