Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Shane Devenshire[_2_] Shane Devenshire[_2_] is offline

Default Make them work on the Each cell Value

Hi,

Make a table with 1 throught 8 in the first column and the words you want in
the second column. Say you do this in D1:E8

then use the formula
=LOOKUP(LEFT(A2),D1:E8)

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Steved" wrote:

Hello from Steved

in Cell A1 I have 5854, now picking up the first digit which is 5 it will
type in "Shore"

Please how do I ask the bottom Formulas to do this please
=IF(LEFT(A2,1)="1","City","")+=IF(LEFT(A2,1)="2"," Roskill","") as this method
leaves me a true or false .

=IF(LEFT(A2,1)="1","City","")
=IF(LEFT(A2,1)="2","Roskill","")
=IF(LEFT(A2,1)="4","Wiri","")