Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Shane Devenshire[_2_] Shane Devenshire[_2_] is offline

Default Selecting Random Records From an Excel Sreadsheet

Hi,

1. To do random sampling with replacement try the Data Analysis tool Sampling:
a. choose Tools, Add-ins, and check Analysis ToolPak.
b. choose Tools, Data Analysis, Sampling...

2. To do random sampling without replacement:
a. Enter =RAND() in a column adjacent to the data
b. Sort the data based on that column
c. Pick the first n items.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Trevor Aiston" wrote:

I have a workbook which contains 300 records from which I wand to be able to
randomly select 50 records. Each record has a geographical area attribute
(e.g. east, west etc) and I have worked out proportionality how many per
geographical area I want to select, but not sure how to randomly select, e.g.
3, from each subset of data. Hope this is clear.

Any suggestions

Trevor