Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
KRK KRK is offline

Default help with string functions please

Can anyone help with a formuila for the following, I'm struggling .

I have a large number of text strings (in a column), many (not all) of which
contain 2 words or phrases separated by a colon, eg. ABC : DEF . I want
to split the string into two at the colon, giving 2 columns one with ABC and
the other with DEF. The colon itself is redundant. I need to be careful not
to corrupt those text strings which do not contain a colon, leaving the
2nd olumn blank in such cases.

This seems messy to me, any help would be appreciated

Thanks