Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming
Paul H[_2_] Paul H[_2_] is offline

Default Load a CSV into an empty, formatted XLS?

I have many .CSV files. The one I've been testing with has 5004 rows and 41
columns. Others have more rows, but few have this many columns. When I
import the .CSV, it is almost instant, but does not have columns formatted
correctly. I have text columns of various widths, date columns, percent
columns, numeric columns of various types, etc. So my COBOL programs
formats each column correctly. My empty .XLS file has these formatting
characteristics. So if I can import my .CVS into the empty .XLS file it
should have the columns like I want them.

I tried starting my program, stopping it so I could turn off recalc, then
resumed the process - it stayed very slow.

Importing my .CSV would appear to be my only option. I hope it can be
accomplished.

"JLatham" wrote in message
First question is how big are the CSV files, in terms of rows and columns.
Since Excel has native built in ability to import CSV files, I presume you
either have too many rows or too many columns. Hopefully not both.

"Paul H" wrote:

I have an empty, formatted spreadsheet, that I created by writing a few
rows
into it from my COBOL program, field by field, then deleting all of the
rows.

The process of creating the entire XLS or XLSX runs much too slow (100
records per minute or less), and uses memory up, so can never allow me to
finish converting some of my large CSV files into formatted XLS (Excel
2003)
or XLSX (Excel 2007) files. Someone told me to "turn off continual
re-calculating". How?

I wonder if I can somehow import my large .CSV file into my .XLS empty
formatted file? I cannot find a way. Any help would be appreciated.

TIA, Paul