Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
tino2009[_4_] tino2009[_4_] is offline

Default Inserting a new column affects conditional formatting

Users will input information into the sheet. When they enter "No" in
column M, and "Sent" in column L, the whole row should fill red.

I have this working, but on column K and L. I just need to insert a new
column before K, and I do not seem able to replicate the correct rules -
even in a brand new sheet using the exact same rules that are currently
working! wko

Thanks for your time.

T. Valko;395734 Wrote:
Tell us *exactly* which cells you want to highlight and based on what
condition.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"tino2009" wrote in message

I have just tried that, and it doesn't seem to highlight the row at

all.

T. Valko;395664 Wrote:
Why are you using INDIRECT?

Can't you just use A1 references?

=AND(L1="No", K1="Sent")

If you insert a new column before column K the references will
automatically
adjust.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"tino2009" wrote in message

Is there an alternative to INDIRECT that you may suggest, that

would
achieve the same result?

Bernard Liengme;395404 Wrote:
In general a common side effect of INDIRECT is that inserting
row/columns
can cause havoc because the reference cannot change when the

insert
is
made.
It is the nature of INDIRECT and indeed some people reply on this
feature
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"tino2009" wrote in message

Hey,

I have got conditional formatting setup on a sheet that

highlights
row based on the value in two columns (K and L). The formula

for
this
is;

=AND(INDIRECT("L"&ROW())="No", INDIRECT("K"&ROW())="Sent")

I have got 6 varieties of this, and it all works well and
highlights
each row correctly.

However, I need to insert a new column before K - and when I do

lose
the conditional formatting. I have tried manually altering the
formula
as;

=AND(INDIRECT("M"&ROW())="No", INDIRECT("L"&ROW())="Sent")

but this does not work properly for the 'AND' rules. It does

work
ok
on
=INDIRECT("L"&ROW())="Sent" though.

Is there an easy way to insert a new column without messing up
the
formatting?

Thanks

--
tino2009

tino2009's Profile:
'The Code Cage Forums - View Profile: tino2009'
('The Code Cage Forums - View Profile: tino2009'
('The Code Cage Forums - View Profile: tino2009'

(http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/me...p?userid=447)))
View this thread:
'Inserting a new column affects conditional formatting - The

Code
Cage Forums'

(http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...php?t=110427)))

--