Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Tim at alliant Tim at alliant is offline

Default VLookup formula question

I want to populate cells on worksheet 2 from worksheet 1 with values that a
user selects from worksheet one. The user can select multiple values but I
only need those values selected to appear and not repeat.

For example there are two columns A1 through A8 and B1 through B8 on
worksheet one. Column B contains different values in each cell. Users will
choose the value(s) they want from Column B by typing an X in the
corresponding column A. For example, the user wants the value from cell B4
so types an "x" in cell A4 which then populates cell C1 in worksheet two.
Then they select Cell B5 and I have adjusted the range in C2 to omit values
from A1:B1 so cell C2 is populated with date from B5. I am using the formula
below in cells C1-C8 .

VLOOKUP("x",sheet1!A1:B8,2,FALSE)

This works but if the user only selects one or two values, lets say B4, it
populates all cells C1 through C8 with that value. Is there a way to
populate cell C1 in this instance and leave all other cells blank? Would
some sort of Macro work better for this or can it be one at all?
--
Tim at Alliant