Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Cheese Cheese is offline

Default Converting Lat/Lon coordinates to Decimal

Ah yes, good point.

All coordinates are within the United States, which means the latitude is
always N (+) and longitude is always W (-).

The minus sign in my decimal example was added by me. I thought maybe this
could be added later, if easier.

"EricG" wrote:

Need to know what general format these are in. For example, latitude can be
expressed as -90 to 90 degrees, or 0 to 180 degrees. Longitude can be -180
to 180 degrees or 0 to 360 degrees. And there are other formats as well.

Can either the lat or long parts have minus (-) signs?

Eric

"Cheese" wrote:

I have an Excel spreadsheet with Lat/Lon coordinates in an unusual format.

The Degrees, Minutes, Seconds are merged together as text, without spaces.
They're in two columns, like this:

Lat, Lon
390757, 0902243

These numbers are the equivalent of 39° 07' 57", 90° 22' 43". I want to
convert these columns to their decimal equivalents, like this: 39.1325°,
90.378611°.

I have Excel 2002.
Unfortunately, I'm clueless with Visual Basic. Macros I can handle.

Thanks!