Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default Replace hard return with a delimiter?

DataText to ColumnsDelimitedOther

CTRL + j as a delimiter.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 21:07:01 -0700, Erin.
wrote:

I have an Excel 2003 file with the full US address in one column. Street and
city are seperated by a hard return as are state and zip. Ultimately I need
to have four columns of data: street, city, state, zip. I can not figure out
how to accomplish that. The hard returns between street and city and then
state and zip act as the delimiter but I can't seem to get Excel 2003 to
acknowledge the hard return as a delimiter to parse out the data. I can use
the clean function to remove the hard returns but then I lose the only
delimiter I have. Essentially I am looking for a way to replace the hard
returns with another delimiter. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
for this first time poster. Thank you.