Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Counting with multiple matching criteria

Thank you Shane - a very clever idea!
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200858

"Shane Devenshire" wrote:

Hi,

Here's a short one:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(G1:G10=W1:Z1))

Adjust the ranges but note that the criteria W1:Z1 need to run horizontally
to keep the formula this short.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

A colleague came to me yesterday and complained about the length of formulas.
She needs to count occurrences of values in a table that meet any of several
criteria. The table is pure text with no blanks. Her formula was something
like:

=COUNTIF(G7:G3147,"open")+COUNTIF(G7:G3147,"pendin g
review")+COUNTIF(G7:G3147,"review complete")+COUNTIF(G7:G3147,"assigned")

I pointed out that she did not need repeated COUNTIF()s and to use:

=SUM(COUNTIF(G7:G3147,{"open","pending review","review complete","assigned"}))

She was satisfied, but returned this morning and wanted to know if the
criteria could be completely removed from the formula and stored in a table.

I put the match values in Z1 thru Z4 and tried:

=SUM(COUNTIF(G7:G3147,Z1:Z4)) but this returns zero.

Any suggestions for putting the criteria in a little table and referring to
that table??

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200858