Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
joel joel is offline

Default Comparing two lists with one being inaccurate

He is the webpage I used

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/recipe...imilarity.aspx

"NBVC" wrote:

Ditch;391883 Wrote:
Hi,
I have a base list of ~4,000 customers and I want to compare that with
shorter list that contains inaccurate customer names.
With accurate Customer names I would normally use the OFFSET($A$1,
MATCH(Value,Array,0),ColumnRequired) function combination. I was
thinking of
using some LEFT(InaccurateName,1) iterative style of comparings first,
second, third...n, letters of the inaccurate customer names with my
list to
get a % Match per string and then manually sort through them from here.
eg
70% of letters (& order) match in a string = Review for manual match.

Any tips?
Thanks,
Ditch

Check here for a "Fuzzy" vlookup code that may help.

http://tinyurl.com/lj38c7

--
NBVC

Where there is a will there are many ways.
NBVC's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=74
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=109530