Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JRD JRD is offline

Default Assigning strings number values and adding them together

Hi Bernard

Yes cell A1 does contain LMS, LADprox, LADother, RCA

I have adjusted the tabs below so that it hopefully now makes a little more
sense!

Thanks

John

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

Does cell A1 actually contain:
LMS LADprox LAD other RCA
If not, please tell us what a single cell holds
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"JRD" wrote in message
Example: (see explantion below)

Column A Answer
1 LMS
LADprox 3 (2 for LMS,0 for LAD prox and LADother,1 for RCA)
LAD other
RCA

2 LADprox 1 (1 for LAD prox, 0 for LADother)
LADother

3 LADother 2 (2 for LMS, 0 for LADother)
LMS

4 RCA 2 (1 for RCA, 1 for LCX)
LCx

5 LMS 3 (2 for LMS, 1 for RCA)
RCA

6 LADother
LCX (1 for LADother, 1 for LCX, 0 for LAD prox)
LAD prox

I have given an example above. I need to asign a values to the various
strings. I want LMS to equal 2, LADprox to = 1, LADother to =1, LCx to =1,
RCA to = 1.

However, if the cell contains LMS, then I do not want the values for
LADprox, LADother and LCx to be counted (but I still want to count RCA as
=1)

Also if cell contains LADprox and LADother I only want to count this as 1
(unless the cell also contains LMS in which case they would count as 0)

Does this make sense to anyone!!

If so, how can I do this with excel 2007?

Thanks

John