Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jacob Skaria Jacob Skaria is offline

Default Counting number of occurances of a word

From the below example; it looks like the names are separated by a comma.

=(LEN(A3)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A3,"Jon" & ",",",")))/LEN("Jon")

with Jon in B1 and the text string in A3...
=(LEN(A3)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A3,B1 & ",",",")))/LEN(B1)

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Chris the researcher" wrote:

I need to count the number of times a word shows up in a given cell for which
the number will then show up below the name of the word.

ex. B1
[Jon]
A3 ? How many times did
Jon appear?
[Jon, Kate, Jon, Lilly]

I want excel to put in a number where the ? is.

Please help!