David McRitchie

Hi David Turner,
How about the alternative, easy enough to sort the worksheets
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...#sortallsheets
and to have a master sheet and total on the master sheet

I don't know what you mean by a subtotal in the sheets,
as long as the total is for just that sheet you simply use
SUM or even SUBTOTAL

To me the original seems so unwieldy maintaining a page
worth of data (many rows) for each student and every student
within a single worksheet.
If it were one row of data per student then you would not
have a problem with sorting. But from what I can get from
your arrangement it seems it would be difficult to find
where to update a student.

HTM,

"David" wrote in message news:uva%
Acceptable alternative: Have each student on their own page with sheets
named Lastname Firstname, sort those, and still be able to Subtotal in
cells on those sheets, then Grand Total on a separate sheet.