Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Function based on blank cell and date past due

I find your question to be somewhat unclear. You talk about Columns A, B, C
and D in general, but say you want your result in F3. If, as you said in an
answer to Biff later on that you could have more than one blank in Column A
to process, how did you want all that to fit in F3? If I can make a guess at
what I think you meant... assuming for any give row, Column A's value is
blank and Column B's value is a date past today (assumed to mean greater
than today), then you want the concatenation of that row's Column C and D
values placed into that row's Column F cell (with the date in Column D
looking like a date). If this is correct, put this formula F3 and copy it
down...

=IF(AND(A3="",B3TODAY()),C3&TEXT(D3," m/d/yyyy"),"")

You can control the display of the date from Column D by changing the date
pattern (" m/d/yyyy") in the TEXT function to any date pattern you want (the
TEXT function uses the same patterns as the Cell Formatting does). Note that
I put a space in front of the 'm' in the date pattern... I did this so there
would be a space between whatever is in Column C's cell and the date from
Column D... if you don't want that space in the concatenated text, just
remove it from the date pattern in the TEXT function.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Paul" wrote in message
I am needing to get a function to do the following:

Look down a column(A) for any blank cell, then for that blank cell look in
the cell to the right in column B and see if the date is past today. If
this
is true, I want the values of the corresponding cells in column C and D
concantenated and inserted into cell F3.

Another major issue is that the value in the cell for column D is a date
and
when it is inserted it comes as the number value instead of the typical
date.

Thank you for any help,

-- Paul