Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Otto Moehrbach[_2_] Otto Moehrbach[_2_] is offline

Default How to get a numbered list of unique words in a column?

I'm working on it but had to stop for a couple of days because of company.
Will get on it Sunday/Monday. Otto
"J741" wrote in message
Anyone know how to do this?

"J741" wrote:

Hi.

I have a spreadsheet with almost 5000 rows with about 15 columns of data,
2
columns of which contain sentences, phrases, or paragraphs of comments
entered by users.

What I need to have as an end result is a list of all unique words found
in
those two columns, along with the number of occurrences of each word. I
will
then use this to further analyze the data in the spreadsheet.

Right now, I do this manually and it takes a VERY long time for me to do
so
(over 200 man-hours). So, I really need to automate this somehow.

The problem is, I have no idea how to begin, because the words will not
be
by themselves in their own cell (so I cant use the auto filter functions,
pivot tables, or anything else I can think of), but will be part of
groups of
words or symbols within multiple cells.

I think this will need to be done programmatically with code, scripts,
macros, or some other method with which I am not familiar, but I am just
not
sure.

Can anyone help me with this? Can anyone point me in the right
direction?
Is there anything already built in to excel to do this?

- James.