Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Code for counting number of word strings?

Excel has a feature called a Pivot Table that will produce exactly what you
want. It can display a summary giving each unique item in the column and how
many times that item appears. See:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200857

"Maria" wrote:

I have a long list of strings of words in an excel sheet and was wondering if
it possible to compile, in a new sheet, only one of each word string and a
column with the number of each word string that existed in the first list?

for example:

if I have a column in sheet 1 like this;
alfa beta
alfa beta
alfa beta
super
thank you
thank you

I would like to create two columns in sheet 2 that look like this;
alfa beta 3
super 1
thank you 2

What would the code for that be?

Thank you so much for your help! I really appriciate it!