Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Shane Devenshire[_2_] Shane Devenshire[_2_] is offline

Default How to find min value in Excel text cells?

Hi,

Here is an array function to do this:

=INDEX(A1:A5,MATCH(0,COUNTIF(A1:A5,"<"&A1:A5),))

To make it an array press Shift+Ctrl+Enter to enter it.

Since the same range is used 3 times a range name like R would simplify this

=INDEX(R,MATCH(0,COUNTIF(R,"<"&R),))

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Jeff Kantner" wrote:

Suppose I've got 5 cells, containing values 'b', 'd', 'a', 'e', 'c' ... if
asked to pick the minimum value, you'd say 'a' (setting aside collating
sequence issues). How do I create an Excel formula to figure out the answer
is 'a'? All the min/max functions I can find expect numbers, not text. And
I'm not in a situation where I can sort and pick top/bottom. Ideas?