Peo Sjoblom

Yes it does, but if you have let's say names in A2:A300 and use filter and
want to count unique names in the filtered list you can add a help column
and include it in the filter, i.e. in the help column put

=COUNTIF($A$2:A2,A2)=1

copy down as long as needed, now include the help column in the filter and
filter on TRUE, then just count the TRUE with =SUBTOTAL(3,E2:E300)

where E2:E300 would be the help column with the countif formulas

will give you # of unique names

Peo Sjoblom

"Ian" wrote in message
Thanks for the reply, Peo. Unfortunately, I must be doing something wrong.
get a #VALUE error.

Doest the formula you referenced require numeric values only? I see that
it
uses the MMULT function.

Thanks again!!! -- Ian

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

One way albeit rather complicated

http://tinyurl.com/9rfmv

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Ian" wrote:

Hello.

I need to count unique values in a list. I have many ways to do this (I
am
currently using an array function
{=SUM(IF(COUNTIF(A9:A1000,A9:A1000)=0, 0,
1/COUNTIF(A9:A1000,A9:A1000)))}, and that works fine.

But - I wish to be able to filter the list and have the function adjust
only the visible cells.

I tried substituting the SUBTOTAL function for SUM in the formula
above, but
I get an ERROR result.

I am willing to use intermediate columns if I must. Can anyone help?