Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
J741 J741 is offline

Default How to get a numbered list of unique words in a column?

Hi Otto.

1. The cells have a _lot_ of words, but I don't think it's any more than a
few hundred per cell.

2. The range of cells containing the words is C2:D5000

3. I am using Excel 2003 SP3

- James.

"Otto Moehrbach" wrote:

James
What version of Excel are you using? Also, do you have any idea of the
maximum number of words in these cells? Like, no more than 30. Or no more
than 300. Or no more than 3000. What columns are these 2 columns, and what
row has the first entry in these 2 columns. HTH Otto
"J741" wrote in message
Hi.

I have a spreadsheet with almost 5000 rows with about 15 columns of data,
2
columns of which contain sentences, phrases, or paragraphs of comments
entered by users.

What I need to have as an end result is a list of all unique words found
in
those two columns, along with the number of occurrences of each word. I
will
then use this to further analyze the data in the spreadsheet.

Right now, I do this manually and it takes a VERY long time for me to do
so
(over 200 man-hours). So, I really need to automate this somehow.

The problem is, I have no idea how to begin, because the words will not be
by themselves in their own cell (so I cant use the auto filter functions,
pivot tables, or anything else I can think of), but will be part of groups
of
words or symbols within multiple cells.

I think this will need to be done programmatically with code, scripts,
macros, or some other method with which I am not familiar, but I am just
not
sure.

Can anyone help me with this? Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Is there anything already built in to excel to do this?

- James.