Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
VidarHe VidarHe is offline

Default COUNTIF calculates slow (10000+ records)

Hi,
We have a printer repair log where we count the number of times the printer
has been in based on the serial number. But we have 1000+ log entries and
every time we change a serial number or adds a new it calculates a long time
all the way. Can this be speeded up or as an alternative only calculated the
first time?

A B C D
1 SerialScan Count Serial#
2 12345 4 12345
3 12 345 4 12345
4 12-345 4 12345
5 12-346 1 12346
6 12-347 1 12347

This is the formula in the Count column copied all the way down
=IF(D3="";"";COUNTIF(D:D;D3))
Does not count if no serial (D3="") so at least empty rows do net get counted.

The serial# is derived from SerialScan wich can contain serial with minus
and spaces but stipped for counting purposes
=(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(B3;" ";"");"-";""))

Any tips?
--
br, Vidar