Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
John Moore John Moore is offline

Default comparing 2 columns

Hi Mariekek ,,,, try this ..... name range the old data as "Oldlist" ( say
range A2:A50 ), name range the new data as "New List" ( say B2:B50 ), once
you do this, highlight the Oldlist range, choose format, conditional format,
in the dialog box, choose Formual Is and use this formula
=COUNTIF(Newlist,A2)=0, click format button and specify a colour ( say yellow
), click OK. Now highlight the Newlist range,choose format, conditional
format, in the dialog box, choose Formual Is and use this formula
=COUNTIF(Oldlist,B2)=0, click format button and specify a colour ( say yellow
), click OK. This should work ok.

"mariekek5" wrote:

Thanks John for you reply! I dont understand it though, probably I am doing
something wrong...Because nothing happens...although I do exactly what you
said..

"John Moore" wrote:

Try this .... column A relates to Old List, column B relates to New List in
this solution. Seleect the Old List range, click Format, Conditional format,
in the dialog box use the drop down list to choose "Formula Is", enter the
formula, COUNTIF(Newlist,A2)=0, click the format button and choose colour as
required ( say yellow ). Do the same for New List data but choose a different
colour.

"mariekek5" wrote:

Hi,

I see I am not the first one to ask this question, but I see some formula's
which work, but I would like to know why.

I used: =IF(ISNA(MATCH(A:A;B:B;0));"";INDEX(D:D;MATCH(A:A; B:B;0)))

But why D:D??

Well, what I would like to do is the following:

I have 2 columns with numbers, column A and column B. Say that B is the new
data/new version of the data. Some numbers will be gone (compared to column
A) and some numbers will be new (compared to column A). Is it possible to
make a fomula that shows me which number is new in column B and which number
is gone in column B, compared to column A?!

Thanks a lot in advance.

Marieke