Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
smartin smartin is offline

Default Countif function question

stevestr wrote:
I have a list of birth dates in column A. I want to provide a list of age
ranges in a summary next to the column. For example I would like to create a
function that would give me the count of birthdates in column A that show the
number of listings that are less than 2 years old. Then I would like to show
the count of listings that are older than 2 years but less than 10 years.
And finally I would like to show the count of listings that are older than 10
years. I would like for the calculation to include the function that would
keep the counts current. This way as I keep this data over the next few
years, I won't have to update the forumula.

I found a few countif threads that touched on portions of this question but
I didn't know how to make it work. I'm using 2007. Thanks

For a start, see Chip Pearson's exposé on the practically abandoned
DATEDIF function: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.aspx

You are not clear what to do with "number of listings that are /equal to
2 years old/" (similarly for /equal to 10 years old/), but these are
merely boundary conditions to be worked out.

Post back if you get stuck.