Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
smartin smartin is offline

Default Standard Deviation

Soccerboy83 wrote:
Is it possible to form an equation that will give me a standard deviation for
all numbers above a certain value. I know there are SUMIF and COUNTIF
formulas and if you want the average you actually have to do (SUMIF/COUNTIF)
because there is no AVERAGEIF. I guess what i am asking is if there is a way
to do a standard deviation for only a certain range of numbers.

Suppose you have in A1:A5

1
3
5
3
1

Then this array* formula will give STDEV where the input value is 2
=STDEV(IF(A1:A52,A1:A5))

*Very important: array formulas must be committed by pressing
Ctrl+Shift+Enter, not just Enter.

The same technique can be applied with some other functions, e.g.,
=AVERAGE(IF((A1:A52),A1:A5))
=MEDIAN(IF((A1:A52),A1:A5))