Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Don Kline[_2_] Don Kline[_2_] is offline

Default Goal Seek returning different results

I'm sorry as I have mistated the question. Mea culpa.

Upon rereading it, I left out a vital piece. The listing of the amounts at
the bottom of the initial posting is the entire investment stream. The goal
seek is to get the rate that when applied to the entire investment stream
will return a value of 779,454.

"JoeU2004" wrote:

"Don Kline" wrote:
If I run it from one source Goal Seek returns 3.1362%. If I flip to
the "other" source, Goal Seek returns 3.2072%

Well, I don't see how you get either of those numbers or even close. I get
about -1.6401%, if I understand your problem correctly. I get that with
IRR, as well as with Goal Seek and Solver. IRR requires a hint :(.

I believe you are saying that you invest the positive amounts for 19 years,
then you withdraw the negative amounts for 6 years, and you expect a balance
of zero. All transactions are at the beginning of the year.

As for the different results depending the source, well, I guess I don't
know what you mean by "source". Exactly where are you importing the values
from, and how?

My first impression was a rounding problem; format the cells to 4 decimal
places. But in my experiments with the numbers provided, that did not
change the result significantly -- still -1.6401% to 4 dp.